Dental implants are a modern and innovative method of replacing teeth that are either lost or unsalvageable due to deep decay or gum disease. Implants provide a fixed solution for missing teeth, making them a superior choice to traditional removable dentures. Implants can be used to replace a single tooth or multiple teeth; in the case where multiple teeth are missing, dental implants can be used to anchor a fixed bridge in place, providing a permanent solution.
Implants work by inserting a small screw or post, usually made of titanium, into the gumline, where the natural tooth root used to be. As the gums heal, the tissues will fuse onto the titanium post, stabilizing it. The placement of the post will happen in one dental visit, but the patient may have to return for a secondary visit to have the prosthetic tooth placed onto the post. The artificial tooth is created in a dental lab, and fashioned to look and feel like a real tooth. The dentist will take impressions of your teeth so that the prosthetic tooth can be made to blend in seamlessly with your remaining teeth.
There are many benefits of choosing implant dentistry to correct your missing teeth. The most obvious benefit is having a strong, stable, long term replacement for the missing tooth. Other benefits include:
- Restoring confidence in your smile. It’s normal to feel self conscious if you are missing teeth. Since dental implants look and feel like natural teeth, you can smile confidently again, as no one will be the wiser that you have an implant.
- Improved speech. Missing teeth can alter the way you speak. The dental implant bridges the gap and restores full functionality to the mouth.
- Eating and chewing with ease. Since implants are firmly fixed in place, there is no need to refrain from eating certain foods. Likewise, you can clean the implant as easily as you clean your remaining teeth.
- Dental implants preserve your jawbone. With the absence of one or more teeth, the jawbone can actually shrink over time. Implants help to preserve the integrity of the jawbone and prevent the remaining teeth from shifting out of place.
- Dental implants are a long lasting solution. With proper oral hygiene, your dental implant can last you for a lifetime.
Missing teeth can happen to people of all ages, due to dental traumas, gum disease or decay. Fortunately, there are solutions. If you are missing teeth, we can help. Simply give us a call, fill out the contact form or come by our office here in beautiful North Vancouver for more information or to find out if dental implants may be right for you.